Fat equals Unpopular?

Not a big secret … I’m fat. I’ve been called names, I’ve been ridiculed and I’ve been flat-out ignored. I’ve been the brunt of many a joke and have heard more snickers than I can even count. I’ve written many blog posts about it and even wrote a letter after an extra annoying day.

Funny thing is, I’ve never thought of myself as unpopular. Or ugly. And I MOST certainly didn’t believe that a certain brand of clothing made me look more beautiful or would help me fit in with all the cool kids. But apparently, Abercrombie & Fitch thinks their clothes are TOO GOOD for me and my big butt. Hhhmmm….interesting and pathetic.

Read The Story here.

When I read that story, I actually laughed out loud as it was one of the saddest displays of ignorance and stupidity that I’ve ever seen. Frankly, those statements were written by a bully with a serious self-esteem issue that needs his ego stroked by all the so-called “beautiful people”. It really, truly is sad.

So, Mr. A&F, don’t worry, I won’t be shopping in your store as I recognize that your clothes don’t fit me. And in all honesty, I really don’t care. Make whatever clothes you want to make in whatever sizes you want. That’s your prerogative. Even though you’re missing out on a large, no pun intended, group of consumers. You know, the ones that aren’t 16-22 and actually have good jobs and disposable income. The ones that are driving your target audience to the mall and providing them with the funds to buy their wardrobes. The same ones that now know that you hate them, but whatever. That’s your choice.

What I do have a problem with is your implication that only the “thin and beautiful” are worthy of wearing what you sell. That fat means you’re unpopular and that “we” will never fit in with the cool kids. That YOUR picture of beauty is the same as everyone else in the world.  That YOU are better than ME based solely on the size tag of my clothing.

You are wrong, and you should be ashamed. Unfortunately, I don’t think you really even care that you’re being a jerk and that you’ll continue to stand by your words and your vision for your company. Yeah you.

But thankfully, now that I know you don’t want the money of me or “my people”, you won’t get it. Not from me and not from my children. And to celebrate my decision to not give you my money, I’m going to spend some time in your stores. Me and my fatness are going to come in and hang out for awhile. I think I’ll try some stuff on and put on an a fashion show.  The clothes may not really “fit” but they’ll be on and I’m thrilled to know that your “core customers” will enjoy seeing me, in all my hotness wearing “your clothes”. It’s going to be awesome.

You may look at me and not like what you see but just so you know, my mirror thinks I’m pretty freaking amazing. You sir are a fool.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

13 thoughts on “Fat equals Unpopular?

1. Darci Huhn May 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm Reply

I will be there right along side of you my friend, because my size 12, 37 year old booty is too large as well 🙂 bring on the itsy bitsy, yellow polka dot bikini 😉

2. Christina May 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm Reply

As always, April: you rock. This guy is a shallow fool and I’ve never thought this brand was that great anyhow.

3. chrissie75 May 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm Reply

Hi April,
    Great article. I find it amazing that people with such influence can still be so ignorant and in positions or power. What does that say about our society. I would love to know more about Mr. A&F’s upbringing, not as an excuse for his behavior but to see how he was guided to the beliefs he has today. Just when I think we are heading in a direction of acceptance, I realize that I have been fooled. We have so much more work to do!
    Christina

4. colleen Pomeroy May 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reply

Its what our kids face every day in jr and sr high!……I just want a store of clotihng I can fit into and look extra fabulous….you know what I mean?…..good quality not thin and cheep becaue I choose to be my size!

5. Mary May 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm Reply

Mr. A&F is showing the world that he can be a bully by using his label to the kids of today. By purchasing his clothes and knowing the thoughts of this ignorant man, only feeds fuel to the bullying in today’s society of what makes a “beautiful” person. I have bought from A&F, for both myself and my husband, and I will no longer step foot in any store nor wear any of A&F again. By making this stand I want to say that everyone is beautiful no matter their size.

6. Kim Law May 10, 2013 at 8:30 am Reply

Well I have three daughters that tell me that I am cool and three sons. I haven’t even heard of this store. As long ad my kids are living under my roof they will not be wearing anything from that store. So uncool!!!

7. Natasha C. May 10, 2013 at 9:50 am Reply

After reading a few posts on the subject (and looking up with this “cool kid” douchebag actually looks like himself) I am of the opinion that I am thankful that he is being upfront about his company marketing policies. That way I know exactly WHY I won’t (and don’t) shop there. Also, you would think that such a “cool kid” would be able to afford some better plastic surgery! PS-my kids are still young, but they do NOT like even walking past this store because of the perfume they pump through their stores and how “stinky” it is!!

8. […] Fat equals Unpopular? (thismomsgotsomethingtosay.com) […]

9. Katie Benson July 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm Reply

I am Fat but i still agree with CEO of Abercrombie, i love abercrombie style and i think its good for stores to only sale thinner clothing it motivates people to lose weight and get healthy and then wear the clothes they want. people are over reacting about this. places like walmart and goodwills stores should sale plus size clothing. i cant stand being fat and since im finally able to pick my own food and meals i have lost 40 lbs in 8 months since i got into school and started getting paid i resent my parents for not giving me better nutrition. so people need to get off there asses start working out, stop being lazy and make your own meals that are healthy. because fatness should not be acceptable in this society

• this mom's got something to say ... July 10, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reply

Hey, I totally own my fatness and recognize that it’s my fault that I’m this way. My main problem with A&F is that they’re implying that skinny people are more attractive than fat people. And frankly that’s just not true. I know many “unattractive by the worlds standards” people that have killer bodies and I know just as many overweight people that are stunningly gorgeous. Judgements shouldn’t be made about a person based solely on their looks, that is never okay.